Monday, October 10, 2005

My feelings toward arriving in America--Chen, Dongmei

America, a country where everyone has freedom, a place where everyone thinks of as heaven, an area where everyone has always dreamt of to live in. But if you ask me: Is America really that perfect? My answer is negative.
Before I have stepped into America, I was full of imaginations of this country, full of expectations. But once I have arrived in America, all of my imaginations and expectations have disappeared - vanished. In fact, I realized that America is a country without any personal connections. Although America is said as a country that rules under democracy and allows no discrimination, I still think that we are being discriminated especially us, the new immigrants. Even us, the Chinese, "old overseas Chinese" discriminates us, the new immigrants. For example, if you're looking for a job and the boss knows you're a new immigrant, your wage/paycheck will be less than the others.
Of course, America has its good sides as well. The elders and the children here are mostly supported by the Government. Also, low waged people has Medicare and so on.
Although I'm not living very happily, I believe that America is a country that offers many opportunities. If this is not so, people from around the world wouldn't think of all ways to immigrate to America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home