Saturday, October 08, 2005

My Experience--Struggling in High School

Huang, Caizhong

I am a Chinese and I am from china. I am 19 years old and I am supposed to be in college now. But, I think I am not ready yet or I need a little more confidence for myself.

A 20 years old Chinese guy still stays in high school. It is quite common here and I have no strange feeling to ask my friend "how old are you?". However, I usually don't tell people about my age because it’s embarrassing. Therefore, my omnipotent announcement came out when the first time I got into classes: I must graduate from high school fast! Because I am not belonged to here!

After getting here, in order to face the challenges of my new life here, I make up my mind, nothing else is important but English. I deeply understand that if I am lack of English, I won't be able to do anything in this country. So, I begin English learning from ESL3, reading books and reciting vocabularies become a routine for me. Spending more time in study, less in sleeping, watching English TV news and listening English music through radio, I even taking notes while they are reporting and singing. I concentrate on nothing else but English. I believe if I keep on studying hard, my dream will come true. I will be able to speak English in no time. Then, by the time of my graduation, I will be so cool to stand at the stage, shouting in front of the whole world “ English, it’s not a big deal to me!”

Hopefully, the time finally came. I successfully request to study in regular English classes instead of Chinese-English classes. That is the first time I feel proud of myself, I tell myself that I will pass the class with my excellent class works and perfect scores, which was another promise formyself. This is a regents preparation class of U.S. Government, I am full of confident at the first place, but it doesn’t last too long until I figure out the truth. In a presentation, I fail. Nobody know what the heck I am talking about, not even a word. The teacher has headache after my noisy “performance”, and two of my classmates just got stomachache, their tear drop painfully and heavily, and so do I. I eventually taste the awful bitter reality. I want to give up but it’s too late, there is no more program change. After the classes, I become frustrated and irritated, I feel nervous to speak English. I lost myself because I can’t get rid of the laughing. Indeed, the experience haunts me that I become reticent and speak barely in the class--I am in war now.

Ironically, the UGovernment regent exam pulled me out of the dark, I got 97, which is the highest score of our school. With this unbreakable proof of my learning, I run to tell my historical teacher at once. I tell him that I deserve to have a higher average on my history class because the exam prove me is the best of the best at school. But he let me down again. He says: “ I can’t because I don’t understand you in class, I mean your English…” then, a pretty long explanation is fellow, telling me I am good student…and so on. At that time, I don’t really pay attention on him. I move on because I have learned a precious lesson from the experience that accept everything and always want to get out.

In the future, I tell myself that no matter how hard, how terrible, awful the situation is, I will accept, and I will try my best to get out of the situation fast. Meaning that I will keep on practicing my English no matter how people think of me, I will accept and then move on. Also, I will not feel embarrassed of my age anymore; I know I need to prepare myself in high school, but, I will not be here long because I desire to get out to see the outside of the world.

1 Comments:

Blogger Henry Ruan said...

This is the first story of our student experience in US. Here Caizhong talked about his struggling experience with English and subject learning in school. Many students have the same experience like him. Most of them are trying hard to overcome the barriers. If you have any questions about Caizhong's writing or questions in general about our student life here, post here. We can have a conversation here.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home