Saturday, October 08, 2005

My Experience--Liang, Yongcong

I have lived in NYC for two years. NYC was a little bit different from what I expected when i first stepped on this land. I felt supprised that there are a lot of immigrants, and they come from all over the world. When I am in the subway, I can hear people speaking all kinds of languages.
Subway is also a special transportation tool for me. At the beginnig of the first few months, I was confused going to place far away by subway without a subway map. Recently, I know that there are almost five hundreds subway stops in NYC and nearly 30 lines. They cross over through four big boroughs of NYC. If you have a chance, I will go over all of them with you.
I am not satisfied with my living condition in the first few months. I had to live with my parents and grandparents in a tiny apartment that only has one sleeping room. I could smell the "perfume" of garbage every time I crossed by the aparment's entrance. I would accelerate my speed as fast as BMW race-car to pass the terrible hallway. Now, I am living only with my parents in another house which has 2 seperate sleeping room and a comfortable living room that I like most because I can enjoy chips, lying on side of my favor sofa.

I used to study in a regular high school which has huge bunch of students and it was chaotic and fighting acted like daily shows. I was satisfied that transforming to LESP. Though it has small numbers of students and tiny place, I dont have to worry about disorder and rushing to next period. In fact, I was eventually getting used to NYC's school life. Now, I am preparing for SAT and college stuff. I think most of immigrant teenage being in U.S. would like to enter college for a higher education, and also for their futures.

So far, I like my community which is 8 Ave. It is peaceful and most of people are nice and friendly. However, as it is a immigrant-assembled area, it has a lot of immigrant, old or new. They have all kinds of different cultures. Even in Chinese group, people come from different places with totally varied backgroud that might affect their their lives. I have spent a long time to understand their living and working places. Later on, I will try to show some pictures of their working places if available.

If you're going to ask me what's the different bewteen China and U.S, I would say they're two worlds but crossing over. You can see Chinese immigrant involved with all part of U.S like medicine, education, economy and so on. They can intermingle with each other, especially working and living with various people, and they are. That means you take here's culture which is a mixed one, you will be one of NYers. I was a little bit upset when I first being here. Because my previous living place is a big and proserous city of a south province in China. Comparing with NYC, its cosumption level is much lower. But it is a modern city with huge number of people with same custom. Nevertheless, as I living in NYC for a certain time, I realized here is also lively place. It's called the capital of world. Then you can figure out how the culture and entertainment and all kinds of things mixed in here. I think I can get better chances and livings here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home